Only a reliably sealed bagpipe, whose leather is naturally flexible and supple, unfolds its special and unique sound. The bagpipe sealant used and its composition play an important role. We perform a high-quality bagpipe seasoning for you, which meets the highest requirements. It reliably seals your bagpipes and makes the leather supple and durable for a long time.
Proven recipe for cowhide
Our bagpipe sealant is a bagpipe seasoning according to proven recipe for hand-blown bagpipes made of cowhide. It is suitable for use on German Smallpipe as well as for sealing Wee-Pipes made of cowhide, shepherd pipes, Great Highland bagpipes or your market bag. Ask your instrument maker if our sealant made of bone glue and glycerin is suitable for your instrument.
The bagpipe sealant is jelly-like and seals the pores of the cowhide as well as the seams without affecting the natural flexibility of the high-quality natural material. After sealing, the leather becomes elastic again and has a smooth surface. With this high-quality bagpipe sealant, dry and often too stiff leather bags are a thing of the past.
Bagpipe Seasoning as a comfortable sealer
Mixing a sealant for the leather bag of your musical instrument itself is often like a series of experiments with numerous failures. The air bag is suddenly stiff as a board and almost unplayable, the highly praised mixture begins to crumble after drying or the sealer that everyone praises presents as a distributor of little attractive odours during the game. With our bagpipe seasoning, these often unpleasant results are a thing of the past. Because experienced bagpipe players know that glycerin and bone glue offer the leather bag everything that is necessary for its reliable functionality.
Our bagpipe sealant is a bagpipe seasoning that draws on the traditional experience of bagpipe players and facilitates sealing and maintenance as a ready-mixed seasoning.
High-quality bagpipe sealant
The bagpipe seasoning produced from natural raw materials is available as a gel in two different container sizes. Due to the high-quality ingredients, the bagpipe sealant is particularly productive.
If you choose the 100ml container, this is sufficient for two new seals or three to five reseal seames. With the 200ml version, you can completely drain your bagpipes about three times or perform up to ten re-seals.
Since the bagpipe sealant has a jelly-like consistency and only liquefies itself by heating, it absorbs well into the leather without stiffening later. After cooling and drying, the leather bag convinces with its special suppleness.
Natural care for natural materials
Leather is one of the most beautiful natural materials and versatile. However, it requires care that is specifically tailored to the field of application. Only then will it retain the necessary properties. Our high-quality bagpipe seasoning is tailored to these high requirements. It seals and nourishes exclusively with natural and human-friendly ingredients.
- vegetable glycerin
- Bone glue from beef
- Sorbic acid protects against mold infestation
Apply bagpipe sealants correctly
The best bagpipe seasoning does not work optimally if it is used incorrectly. Therefore, you will find a clearly arranged step-by-step guide to the correct sealing of your valuable musical instrument below.
This is what you need for professional sealing
- Sealant in glass
- Pot filled with water to heat the sealant in the water bath
- Kitchen crepe
- wet sponge or damp rinse cloth
- Cork plugs for sealing the sticks
As an alternative to finished cork plugs, you can make them yourself. To do this, you wrap wooden dowels tightly with yarn so that they sit firmly in the sticks and seal them.
Step 1: Prepare musical instrument for sealing
- Remove all pipes from the sticks and the foam prop, which is attached to some instruments behind the pipe blades.
- Now densify all sticks with the cork plugs or homemade plugs. Make sure they sit deep enough in the stick. This prevents the bagpipe sealer from running into the stick.
- Attention: The stick of the game pipe is not sealed. Here you fill in the bagpipe seasoning via the funnel!
Step 2: Slowly heat the bagpipe sealants
- The next step is the slow heating of the sealant in the water bath to no more than 70 °C ! Open the container and heat the bagpipe sealant until it is liquid. It must not cook under any circumstances, otherwise it will be destroyed!
Step 3: Fill bagpipe sealants
- Wrap the toy stick with a kitchen crepe to protect it from contamination and plug the funnel into the opening.
- Now you fill the heated sealant in the leather bag.
- Seal the game pipe stick with a matching stopper.
When filling the sealant, make sure that nothing drips on the leather. It leaves unsightly stains and sticks. If it happens anyway, remove the drops immediately with a damp kitchen sponge. The sealant is water soluble.
Step 4: Seal the bagpipes
- Now you walk the leather bag thoroughly. First of all, make sure that the means are well distributed at the seam.
- Then you loosen the buckle plug on the game pipe stick and inflate the sack firmly. Now you press the leather bag vigorously. Due to the resulting pressure, the agent now penetrates deep into the leather pores and seams.
If liquid leaks during pressing at the seam, you immediately remove it with a damp cloth and minimum the pressure. If the flow cannot be stopped, please contact your instrument maker. Here the seams have to be checked.
- After the thick pressing of the leather bag, you pour the sealant back into the container. To prevent the clumping of excess bagpipe sealants, you brush out the leather bag vigorously.
Step 5: Let it dry and assemble
- After removing all the sealants, you inflate the bagpipe easily.
- Remove all plugs and clean the sticks inside and outside.
- Now let the bag cool for at least two hours. Completely dried after 24 hours.
- Once the instrument has been sufficiently cooled and dried, you will carefully assemble it again.
If you carry out this treatment once or twice a year with our high-quality bagpipe seal, you will permanently receive the important function of the leather bag of your valuable musical instrument.